Victims of crime have the right to request information related to their case including court information, notification of an arrest and prisoner release information. Emergency and medical services may also be available to crime victims.
Listed below are the contact numbers for victims to obtain information related to their incident:
- Contact Canton Police Department at 734/394-5400 to request notification of an arrest in your case, the release of the person arrested, or both. You can also get information about the status of your case.
- Contact Wayne County Sheriff's Office at 313/224-2222 for information about subjects being released from Wayne County Jail.
- Contact Wayne County Victim Assistance Program at 313/224-5800 for information about court process, trial, sentencing dates, property obtained as evidence, or victim compensation benefits. You can also contact the Crime Victim Services Commission, 320 South Walnut St., Lansing, MI 48913.
- National Victim Information and Notification Network is a service that allows crime victims to obtain timely and reliable information about criminal cases and custody status of offenders 24 hours a day.
Victims of Domestic Violence
Your legal rights include the right to go to court and file a petition requesting a Personal Protection Order (PPO) to protect your and/or other members of your household from domestic abuse. Questions on obtaining a PPO should be directed to the Wayne County Clerk's Office, 9th Floor, Room 928 of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, 2 Woodward Avenue, in Detroit; phone 734/224-6292.
First Step Domestic Violence Shelter in Wayne County (westside):
- 734/722-6800 or 800/453-5900
First Step advocate for victims of domestic violence