- Citizen Advisory Boards
- Giving & Donations
- Public Input Opportunities
- Special Events
- Student Involvement
- Volunteer Opportunities
Citizen Advisory Boards
Canton Township committees and commissions help shape the future of our community by serving in an advisory capacity to the Township's departments and Township Board. Those interested in serving in a voluntary capacity on a committee or a commission can learn more from the Board Website of by calling 734/394-5185.
- Board of Election Commissioners
- Board of Trustees
- Building Authority
- Building Board of Appeals
- Commission for Culture, Arts, and Heritage
- Community Development Block Grant Advisory Council
- Canton Historical Society
- Downtown Development Authority Board
- Historic District Commission
- Leisure Services Advisory Committee
- Merit Commission
- Neighborhood Know-How Committee
- Planning Commission
- Senior Advisory Council
- Tax Board of Review
- Youth Advisory Council
- Zoning Board of Appeals
Foundations, Planned Giving, and Memorials
There are many ways that you can support Parks & Recreation. Opportunities to support Canton programs are as diverse and numerous as the programs themselves. With projects and initiatives in sending children with disabilities to camp, the arts, youth leadership, adding beauty to local parks, and more, we can reach further with your support.
Individuals looking to leave a lasting legacy or gift are encouraged to contact the Leisure Services Administration Office at 734/394-5360 or email@example.com.
- Camp A.B.L.E. Fund
- Canton Cares
- Canton Youth Advisory Council Fund
- Commemorative Tree and Bench Program
- #LeadLikeAGirl Scholarship
- Marion and Jerry Rozum Family Fund
- Senior Center: Canton's Club 55+ Senior Center appreciates the support of its services to Canton's senior population. To learn more about how you can support their efforts, please call 734/394-5485 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Village Theater Seat Sponsor: to learn more about the upcoming Seat Sponsorship opportunity please contact the Performing Arts Coordinator at 734/394-5300 or email email@example.com.
- General Donations: To learn more about how to make a gift or donation to Canton Leisure Services parks, programs or facilities, please contact the Administration Office at 734/394-5360 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public Input Opportunities
Canton Leisure Services regularly seeks community input on its parks, programs and facilities. The feedback gained from the surveys and focus groups helps to guide the direction of the department. Canton invites residents to provide ongoing feedback in person, through email at email@example.com or by calling 734/394-5360.
Every five years Leisure Services completes a Community Wide Attitude and Interest Survey, as well as a Park Master Plan. The next Community Wide Attitude and Interest Survey will be distributed in 2019. Your input in these and other plans, helps to shape the future of the community.
Current Public Input Opportunities
- General Comments: firstname.lastname@example.org or 734/394-5360
- Focus Groups
- Northeast Canton Future Neighborhood Park: a Focus Group will take place at the end of 2018 for future planning of a neighborhood park in the Northeast Quadrant of Canton. Information on the Focus Group will be listed in the FOCUS Newsletter and on the Leisure Services Webpage.
- Surveys: check back regularly for current survey opportunities
There are many community events that are made possible by citizen involvement. If you would like to be involved in these or other philanthropic opportunities, please email email@example.com or call 734/394-5360.
- National Day of Service-Do Good Festival: The National Day of Service and Remembrance effort established the tradition of engaging in community service on 9/11 as an annual and forward-looking tribute to the 9/11 victims, survivors, and those who rose up in service in response to the attacks. Canton Leisure Services will have dozens of local non-profit, volunteer and service-based organizations hosting a booth and share information about their opportunities to our community members. This is also a great opportunity for you to partake in hands on community service that evening as we will have stations set up with projects such as fleece blankets, kindness rock decorating and letter writing to the troops.
- September 11, 2018 6 - 8 p.m.
- Summit on the Park: 46000 Summit Parkway, Canton MI 48188
- More Information
- Frog & Toad Survey: The Rouge River Watershed Frog & Toad Survey is a volunteer listening survey. Volunteers are trained to distinguish the breeding calls of the seven frogs and one toad found in the watershed. Surveyors choose a quarter square mile area within the watershed that they survey independently on warm spring nights. Volunteers attend a two hour training workshop in the spring where they are instructed on frogs and toads of the watershed, their calls and how to survey. To learn more visit the Friends of the Rouge Website.
- 2019 Date TBD
- National Night Out: Area residents are invited to spend a special evening celebrating National Night Out in Heritage Park. Join Canton Public Safety, Canton Public Library, Canton Response to Hate Crime Coalition, and Canton Leisure Services for this free event that will also feature 'Not in Our Town' programming.
- 2019 Date TBD
- River Day: Each year in May, Canton partners with the Friends of the Rouge to conduct a clean-up date and educational event at the Lower Rouge Trail. Activities include trail clean-up, plantings, and nature activities/demonstrations. For the current event information visit the River Day Webpage.
- 2019 Date TBD
- Partner Events: Canton partners with many charitable organizations to conduct philanthropic events. To learn more about these and other ways to get involved, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 734/394-5191.
- Canton Fire Department: Fundraiser Meal at Liberty Fest
- Canton Goodfellows: No Child Without a Christmas and Charity Run
- Canton Lions: Pancake Breakfast at Liberty Fest
- Relay for Life
- Canton Rotary: Fundraiser at Liberty Fest
Young people are invited to get involved in the Canton community through a variety of volunteer opportunities and through the Youth Advisory Council.
Volunteering at special events and programs is a great way to give back to the community, expand your skill set, and earn service hours. For a complete list of volunteer opportunities visit our Volunteer Webpage or call 734/394-5191.
The Youth Advisory Council (Y.A.C.) continues to assert itself as an influential group of high school students who truly make a difference in their community. Members participate in community service projects, lead special events, participate in local decision making, and award annual grants to organizations that benefit Canton Youth. To learn more visit our B.L.O.C.K. Webpage or call 734/398-5570.
Annually over 5,000 volunteers contribute over 22,000 hours at a variety of Leisure Services and Canton community projects. In addition to Canton Township events, Leisure Services partners with over twenty-five area non-profit organizations to recruit volunteers for projects. To learn more about how you can make a difference in Canton, visit our Volunteer Webpage or call 734/394-5191.